A Brief History

The Church

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BAPTIST CHURCH AT SHEFFORD

1825 - 1988

The church buildings occupy an imposing position at the junction of the Bedford and Stanford roads, (A600 and B658), facing down North Bridge street. The original building, as a memorial stone describes, was built in 1825 by voluntary subscriptions. These would have come from local non-conformist residents of various denominations who were already meeting together for Sunday worship in private homes. Additional help was provided by members of the Biggleswade Baptist Church, who were mainly instrumental in purchasing the necessary plot of land from the Southill Estate. Among the names of these twelve trustees which still have local connections are; - Foster, Inskip, Whitbread, Street and others. The original Union Church gradually became known as the Baptist Church, particularly after the building of the Methodist Church along the Ampthill Road.

Various additions have been made from time to time in the form of classrooms and kitchen facilities, whilst last, and most notable, the front porch was rebuilt in 1986. The earlier of these additions were, like the Manse, built in the latter part of the nineteenth century with bricks provided by church member Eli Plowman, who developed the Hoo Brickyards on the Hitchin road short of Henlow Camp on the A600 (near Willmott Dixon present site).

 

 


Welcome to Shefford Baptist
Webpage icon Home Groups
Webpage icon Just Seeking